There are so many things to consider when you're looking to add a fish tank to your home. One of the most important things to think about is how large of a fish tank would be best for you and your family. However, before you can decide on a size, you have to pick a spot in your home to put your tank.
Having your fish tank in your living space, where you spend most of your time, is a great idea. This gives you more opportunity to enjoy your aquarium and ensures you'll be more inclined to maintain it efficiently. You should also place your tank somewhere there are available outlets and a water source.
Once you find the perfect spot for your fish tank, you can think about choosing a size that fits. Here are some suggestions:
• If you're going to have small, schooling fish, then a tank 30 gallons or less would be a good choice.
• Fancy goldfish can get quite large and need plenty of room, so consider a tank 30 gallons or larger.
• A tank that's meant to be a family hobby should be about 30-50 gallons. This size isn't too much to maintain but still provides space for a decent amount of fish.
• Larger, tropical fish (piranhas, sharks, or cichlids, for example) need a tank at least 40 gallons since they can grow to a bigger size.
• If you're going to fill your tank with a variety of animals, such as catfish, amphibians, and eels, a tank in the 55 gallon range ensures space for all species to claim their own territory.
• A tank that's 70 gallons or larger needs to be in a space that can sustain it's weight. Water weighs 3.78 pounds per gallon, and your tank adds even more weight, so make sure you have efficient floor structure to support it.
In addition to location and size of your tank, the shape you choose is important as well. If you're interested in a tall tank, remember that you will have to be able to reach the bottom to clean it. A bow front aquarium is a beautiful, stylish choice.
Fish bowls are required for Betta Fish, but should be avoided for other fish due to lack of space and aeration (the process by which air is circulated through, mixed with or dissolved in a liquid or substance).
No matter what size, shape, or location you choose for your aquarium, a background from Deep Blue Themes is sure to make it look beautiful! We offer hundreds of designs and even offer custom backgrounds for ANY SIZE aquarium. Visit us today to turn your aquarium into the centerpiece of your home!